How about something unusual and tasty which requires the minimum amount of preparation and no cooking? You’d be a fool not to.
Another recipe from the infallible Polpo Venetian cookbook.
Preparation time: 15 minutes plus chilling overnight
Cooking time: none
Makes: a lot
Skill level: easy
- 4 egg yolks (medium free-range)
- caster sugar – 160g
- unsalted butter – at room temperature – 180g
- cocoa powder – 100g
- mixed nuts such as hazelnuts, walnuts, pistachios – 200g
- dried fruit such as apricots, figs and prunes – roughly chopped – 150g
- trifle sponge fingers (savoiardi) – broken into 5mm pieces (ie small but not crumbs) – 200g
- fine sea salt – a good pinch
Beat the egg yolks with the sugar and then add the butter, cocoa powder and salt, beating all the time until you have a nice smooth creamy paste.
Mix in the fruit, nuts and broken sponge fingers. This takes longer than you might think.
Spoon onto a sheet of tin foil and roll into a sausage about 5cm wide.
Transfer to a piece of cling film, seal (like a sausage) and refrigerate overnight.
Slice into rounds and enjoy with a glass of dessert wine or a good strong coffee.
Drink: As said, a glass of dessert wine or a good strong coffee.
Entertainment: Currently (slowly) working our way through a ‘Sapphire and Steel’ boxset.
All irregularities will be handled by the forces controlling each dimension. Transuranic heavy elements may not be used where there is life. Medium atomic weights are available: Gold, Lead, Copper, Jet, Diamond, Radium, Sapphire, Silver and Steel. Sapphire and Steel have been assigned.Google+