This is an easy-to-make, rich-and-tasty treat which merits a place alongside the holy trinity of party dips – houmus, taramasalata and guacamole.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: none
Skill level: easy
- smoked mackerel fillets – 275 g
- soft cream cheese – 125 g
- lemon or lime juice – squeeze
- 2 spring onions – finely chopped
- tabasco sauce – a few shakes
- horseradish sauce – to taste – about 1/4 tsp
- black pepper
Remove the skin and dark flesh (blood line) from the fish fillets.
Break up into a bowl, add the cream cheese and mash together with a fork.
Add the spring onions, lemon/lime juice, tabasco, horseradish and pepper and mix together.
Taste and add more tabasco/horseradish if necessary.
Eat or chill for later
Verdict: Fishy, smoky and slightly spicy.
Drink: Rosie Lee.
Entertainment: A disappointing Observer Food Monthly – I mean honestly, rice dishes?